Job applications require an active Gmail or Google account. If you do not already have a Gmail or Google account you can apply for a free Google account here.
Banyu Carbon aims to radically reduce the cost of carbon capture, hasten the transition to a net zero carbon economy, and slow the effects of global warming. To meet this challenge, Banyu Carbon is developing a process to extract CO2 from seawater using light-activated chemicals that is projected to require a fraction of the energy inputs compared to competing carbon capture methods. We are transitioning from prototypes in the lab towards a larger scale pilot and first-of-kind commercial facility. We have secured a carbon removal pre-purchase contract with Frontier, closed an oversubscribed financing round, and are supported by a stellar team of investors.
Banyu Carbon is a fast-paced research and technology development startup located on the campus of a major research university in beautiful Seattle. Gain experience bringing science to market. Put your passion for the planet and for science to work at Banyu Carbon!
Summary: We seek a highly motivated and creative chemist or chemical engineer to help develop and optimize our carbon capture process. The individual must be passionate about applying fundamental chemical and engineering principles to develop scalable industrial processes. The focus of this position will be developing and evaluating methods for transferring ions between solutions in the absence of applied electric fields. Candidates may have a background in separation processes, analytical chemistry, and/or process engineering. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in the theory, testing, prototyping, and scaling of ion exchange processes, for example using ion exchange resins. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with a small team of scientists and engineers to advance our carbon capture technology from concept to deployment.
Salary: A starting salary of $110,000-150,000 per year is expected.
Position Type: This is an in-person regular full-time position located in Seattle, WA.
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible.
Location: Banyu Carbon is located within CoMotion Labs on the beautiful campus of the University of Washington. This setting unites the fast paced and exciting environment of a startup with the thriving intellectual community and advanced instrumentation of a major research university. A light rail station, recreational sports facilities, the Burke-Gilman bike trail, and the Lake Washington Waterfront are all within a half mile of the company’s office and lab space. A transit pass with unlimited rides and membership at the university’s recreational sports facility are included in current company benefits. This is an in-person position located in Seattle, WA. Seattle is a thriving and dynamic city situated between the snowcapped Cascade Mountains and the waters of Puget Sound.
Banyu Carbon is proud to offer employees a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Current benefits include:
- 401(k) with 6% employer match
- Stock options
- Medical, vision, and dental coverage through a QSEHRA health benefits plan
- 15 days of paid time off per year in addition to paid sick time
- 13 additional paid holidays annually, including 11 federal and state holidays and 2 floating holidays to recognize cultural, religious, or personally significant events.
- Relocation assistance (negotiable)
- Transit pass that includes unlimited light rail and bus trips
- Holistic employee assistance program
- Recreational sports facility membership reimbursement
- Use theory and modeling approaches to conceptualize, develop, and optimize ion exchange and chemical processes.
- Design, prototype, and scale processes to efficiently transfer ions between aqueous solutions at an industrial scale.
- Evaluate designs with respect to energy efficiency, manufacturability, longevity, and financial metrics (OPEX and CAPEX).
- Identify risks and introduce innovative strategies that can overcome these risks to effectively enhance process performance.
- Clearly document the design, evaluation, and development process in written laboratory books and electronic documents following best engineering practices.
- Conduct work with a commitment to the highest levels of safety and integrity. This includes understanding and adhering to EH&S standards, policies, and procedures, to promote safe work habits.
- Contribute to regular updates of Banyu Carbon’s technoeconomic assessment.
- Provide technical insight and effectively communicate and collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers to advance our carbon capture technology.
- Review technical bids, contribute to purchasing decisions, carry out technical checks of performance data for major equipment and contribute to subsequent assembly and troubleshooting.
- Collaborate with Banyu Carbon business staff to support technical business development, develop supply chain relationships, and to refine process components to best fit market needs.
- Ensure that projects are completed on time.
- Mentor and manage technical staff for performance and professional growth.
- Find, apply, and communicate relevant advances from technical and scientific literature.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Experience & Qualifications:
- PhD or MS in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Environmental Engineering, or related field with relevant post-degree work experience. BS degrees will be considered with extensive work experience.
- Ideal candidates will have industry experience in water treatment, oil and gas, chemical manufacturing and processing, or related fields.
- Extensive wet chemistry lab experience.
- Ideal candidates will have experience with industrial-scale ion exchange proceses.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiar with statistical data analysis and design of experiment methodologies.
- Strong sense of project ownership with hands-on and can-do attitude.
- Creative self-starter that is interested in solving problems without a pre-defined answer.
- Excellent understanding of lab and field safety and ethical research processes.
- Strong communication skills – able to disseminate information at internal and external technical forums.
- Good interpersonal skills, including working with cross-functional teams.
- Current authorization to work in the US and ability to relocate to the Seattle, WA USA area is required.
- 10 -20% travel may be required
- Will sit, stand, or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push, or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time, which includes typing, viewing data, and manipulating documents and data.
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to: nitrile gloves, lab coat, safety glasses, hearing protection, hard hat, safety footware)
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and must not be excluded from participation in federal programs.
Banyu Carbon is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.