Job applications require an active Gmail or Google account. If you do not already have a Gmail or Google account you can apply for a free Google account here.
Banyu Carbon aims to radically reduce the cost of carbon capture, hasten the transition to a net zero carbon economy, and slow the effects of global warming. To meet this challenge, Banyu Carbon is developing a process to extract CO2 from seawater using light-activated chemicals that is projected to require a fraction of the energy inputs compared to competing carbon capture methods. Having completed an operational lab prototype, we are now working towards a larger scale pilot and first-of-kind commercial facility. We have secured a carbon removal pre-purchase contract with Frontier, closed an oversubscribed financing round, and are supported by a stellar team of investors.
Banyu Carbon is a fast-paced research and technology development startup located on the campus of a major research university in beautiful Seattle. Gain experience bringing science to market. Put your passion for the planet and for science to work at Banyu Carbon!
Summary: We seek an experienced and creative chemical or process engineer to guide the transition of our technology from the current prototype to a pilot and a first-of-kind commercial plant. The successful candidate should have extensive experience developing, scaling, and deploying water treatment, petrochemical, desalination, or related facilities and equipment, ideally in both a large company and startup setting. They will lead a team of full-time engineers while hiring and managing relationships with contract engineers and engineering firms. This position is part of an exciting cluster hire that will bring complementary new engineering, scientific, and business talent to Banyu Carbon.
Salary: A starting salary of $170,000 to $230,000 per year is expected.
Position Type: This is an in-person regular full-time position located in Seattle, WA.
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible.
Location: Banyu Carbon is located within CoMotion Labs on the beautiful campus of the University of Washington. This setting unites the fast paced and exciting environment of a startup with the thriving intellectual community and advanced instrumentation of a major research university. A light rail station, recreational sports facilities, the Burke-Gilman bike trail, and the Lake Washington Waterfront are all within a half mile of the company’s office and lab space. A transit pass with unlimited rides and membership at the university’s recreational sports facility are included in current company benefits. This is an in-person position located in Seattle, WA. Seattle is a thriving and dynamic city situated between the snowcapped Cascade Mountains and the waters of Puget Sound.
Banyu Carbon is proud to offer employees a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Current benefits include:
- 401(k) with 6% employer match
- Stock options
- Medical, vision, and dental coverage through a QSEHRA health benefits plan
- 15 days of paid time off per year in addition to paid sick time
- 13 additional paid holidays annually, including 11 federal and state holidays and 2 floating holidays to recognize cultural, religious, or personally significant events.
- Relocation assistance (negotiable)
- Transit pass that includes unlimited light rail and bus trips
- Holistic employee assistance program
- Recreational sports facility membership reimbursement
- Contribute to the conceptualization, design, and development of Banyu Carbon’s commercial-scale carbon removal process.
- Guide overall process development and deployments to follow best engineering practices, for example, with regards to documentation, safety, and project management.
- Oversee pilot deployment and subsequent iterative improvement as well as the design and commissioning of a first-of-kind commercial facility.
- In consultation with the CTO & CEO, develop and execute an engineering strategy and roadmap including a detailed schedule and milestones.
- Introduce innovative strategies to enhance process performance.
- Identify data needed or experiments required to test key process assumptions. Work with Banyu Carbon’s team or external partners to conduct experiments and collect these data.
- Refine both energy efficiency and financial aspects (OPEX and CAPEX) of individual units and/or the entire process chain.
- Contribute to regular updates of Banyu Carbon’s technoeconomic assessment.
- Collaborate with Banyu Carbon business staff to support technical business development, develop supply chain relationships, and to refine the process to best fit market needs.
- Review technical bids, carry out technical checks of performance data, and oversee performance guarantee tests for major equipment.
- Review project reports to ensure projects are on schedule and within budget.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Plan and coordinate the work of science & engineering staff to set goals and meet them on schedule.
- Hire and manage engineering consultants, engineering firms, and EPC contractors to achieve objectives.
- Manage engineering and science personnel, which includes training, mentoring, and conducting performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
Experience & Qualifications:
- BS or higher degree in Chemical, Process, or related Engineering discipline required.
- 10+ years of industry experience.
- Extensive technical knowledge of engineering and process development in the water treatment, petrochemical, desalination, or related industries.
- Proven success bringing new technology to scale.
- Previous experience as a leader of a rapidly growing team tackling technical challenges.
- Experience in both a large firm and in a startup setting is preferred.
- Expertise in methods and tools for process engineering.
- Ability to conceptualize, test, and scale creative and effective new engineering solutions.
- Experience managing EPC contractors.
- Excellent managerial, mentoring, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate across all areas of engineering and staff at all levels.
- Experience with industrial-scale ion exchange processes, design of large-scale water treatment facilities, photochemical processes, and/or industrial gas-liquid separation is ideal.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong financial skills and ability to analyze financial data.
- Proficient in appropriate chemical and process engineering software as well as productivity software like MS Office suite.
- Current authorization to work in the US and ability to relocate to the Seattle, WA USA area is required.
- 10 -20% travel may be required
- Will sit, stand, or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push, or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time, which includes typing, viewing data, and manipulating documents and data.
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to: nitrile gloves, lab coat, safety glasses, hearing protection, hard hat, safety footware)
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and must not be excluded from participation in federal programs.
Banyu Carbon is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.