Job applications require an active Gmail or Google account. If you do not already have a Gmail or Google account you can apply for a free Google account here.
Banyu Carbon aims to radically reduce the cost of carbon capture, hasten the transition to a net zero carbon economy, and slow the effects of global warming. To meet this challenge, Banyu Carbon is developing a process to extract CO2 from seawater using light-activated chemicals that is projected to require a fraction of the energy inputs compared to competing carbon capture methods. We are transitioning from prototypes in the lab towards a larger scale pilot and first-of-kind commercial facility. We have secured a carbon removal pre-purchase contract with Frontier, closed an oversubscribed financing round, and are supported by a stellar team of investors.
Banyu Carbon is a fast-paced research and technology development startup located on the campus of a major research university in beautiful Seattle. Gain experience bringing science to market. Put your passion for the planet and for science to work at Banyu Carbon!
Summary: We seek a highly motivated and detail-oriented lab and field technician with experience in chemistry, chemical engineering, water treatment, environmental engineering, or a similar field. The individual must be detail oriented, fastidious in documenting experimental results, and enjoy wet lab chemistry. The candidate will determine the chemical and physical properties of compounds and materials, prepare reagents, develop methodologies, test process performance at the lab to pilot scale, and support Banyu’s applied research program through safety programs, equipment maintenance, inventory management, etc. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with a small team of scientists and engineers to advance our carbon capture technology from concept to deployment.
Salary: A starting salary of $70,000- $90,000 per year is expected.
Position Type: This is an in-person regular full-time position located in Seattle, WA.
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible.
Location: Banyu Carbon is located within CoMotion Labs on the beautiful campus of the University of Washington. This setting unites the fast paced and exciting environment of a startup with the thriving intellectual community and advanced instrumentation of a major research university. A light rail station, recreational sports facilities, the Burke-Gilman bike trail, and the Lake Washington Waterfront are all within a half mile of the company’s office and lab space. A transit pass with unlimited rides and membership at the university’s recreational sports facility are included in current company benefits. This is an in-person position located in Seattle, WA. Seattle is a thriving and dynamic city situated between the snowcapped Cascade Mountains and the waters of Puget Sound.
Banyu Carbon is proud to offer employees a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Current benefits include:
- 401(k) with 6% employer match
- Stock options
- Medical, vision, and dental coverage through a QSEHRA health benefits plan
- 15 days of paid time off per year in addition to paid sick time
- 13 additional paid holidays annually, including 11 federal and state holidays and 2 floating holidays to recognize cultural, religious, or personally significant events.
- Relocation assistance (negotiable)
- Transit pass that includes unlimited light rail and bus trips
- Holistic employee assistance program
- Recreational sports facility membership reimbursement
- Conduct experiments in the lab and in the field to test the performance of compounds, processes, equipment, prototypes, pilots, and commercial installations.
- Utilize expertise, creativity, and problem solving to manage and identify the technical approach for projects of moderate size and scope.
- Clearly and fastidiously document results and methods of research in a written laboratory book and electronic documents.
- Summarize key results, provide scientific insight, and effectively communicate and collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers to advance our carbon capture technology.
- Conduct work with a commitment to the highest levels of safety and integrity. This includes understanding and adhering to EH&S standards, policies, and procedures, to promote safe work habits.
- Assist with the development of research facilities through contributions to design, purchasing decisions, assembly, testing, and trouble shooting.
- Maintain research equipment and research spaces, including tasks such as instrument maintenance and calibration; organizing data, equipment, and supplies; maintaining inventories; purchasing; cleaning; and alerting senior staff about issues or needs.
- Assist with technical proposal preparation and/or presentations.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Experience & Qualifications:
- A BS or advanced degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental engineering, or related field.
- A broad knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures in the employee’s field of specialization. A demonstrated ability to draw on this foundational knowledge to solve technical and applied scientific problems.
- Mission-driven with a willingness to work on any and all aspects of Banyu’s technical development in furtherance of our mission — developing durable carbon removal technology that is low-cost and low-energy.
- Familiar with statistical data analysis and design of experiment methodologies.
- Problem solving capabilities and ability to deal with complexity and ambiguity.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to monitor and meet deadlines.
- The ideal candidate will have demonstrated familiarity with one or more of the following: analytical chemistry, process design and testing, organic synthesis, process control, data analysis using Matlab, and/or the principles and calculations of aquatic chemistry.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent understanding of lab and field safety and ethical research processes.
- Strong communication skills – able to disseminate information at internal and external technical forums.
- Good interpersonal skills, including working with cross-functional teams.
- Current authorization to work in the US and ability to relocate to the Seattle, WA USA area is required.
- 20-50% travel may be required. Trip durations of >1 month may be required.
- Will sit, stand, or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push, or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time, which includes typing, viewing data, and manipulating documents and data.
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to: nitrile gloves, lab coat, safety glasses, hearing protection, hard hat, safety footware)
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and must not be excluded from participation in federal programs.
Banyu Carbon is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.