Job applications require an active Gmail or Google account. If you do not already have a Gmail or Google account you can apply for a free Google account here.
Banyu Carbon aims to radically reduce the cost of carbon capture, hasten the transition to a net zero carbon economy, and slow the effects of global warming. To meet this challenge, Banyu Carbon is developing a process to extract CO2 from seawater using light-activated chemicals that is projected to require a fraction of the energy inputs compared to competing carbon capture methods. Having completed an operational lab prototype, we are now working towards a larger scale pilot and first-of-kind commercial facility. We have secured a carbon removal pre-purchase contract with Frontier, closed an oversubscribed financing round, and are supported by a stellar team of investors.
Banyu Carbon is a fast-paced research and technology development startup located on the campus of a major research university in beautiful Seattle. Gain experience bringing science to market. Put your passion for the planet and for science to work at Banyu Carbon!
Summary: We seek a highly motivated and creative mechanical engineer with experience in solar concentration and solar PV to help design and optimize Banyu Carbon’s light-driven carbon removal process. The individual must be passionate about applying engineering principles to determine the optimal design and materials of photoreactors and embedded PV cells. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience designing, modeling, evaluating, prototyping, and scaling both traditional and concentrated solar arrays. The ideal candidate will also be comfortable designing and analyzing systems for the movement and control of fluids. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with a small team of scientists and engineers to advance our carbon capture technology from concept to deployment.
Salary: A starting salary of $110,000-150,000 per year is expected.
Position Type: This is an in-person regular full-time position located in Seattle, WA.
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible.
Location: Banyu Carbon is located within CoMotion Labs on the beautiful campus of the University of Washington. This setting unites the fast paced and exciting environment of a startup with the thriving intellectual community and advanced instrumentation of a major research university. A light rail station, recreational sports facilities, the Burke-Gilman bike trail, and the Lake Washington Waterfront are all within a half mile of the company’s office and lab space. A transit pass with unlimited rides and membership at the university’s recreational sports facility are included in current company benefits. This is an in-person position located in Seattle, WA. Seattle is a thriving and dynamic city situated between the snowcapped Cascade Mountains and the waters of Puget Sound.
Banyu Carbon is proud to offer employees a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Current benefits include:
- 401(k) with 6% employer match
- Stock options
- Medical, vision, and dental coverage through a QSEHRA health benefits plan
- 15 days of paid time off per year in addition to paid sick time
- 13 additional paid holidays annually, including 11 federal and state holidays and 2 floating holidays to recognize cultural, religious, or personally significant events.
- Relocation assistance (negotiable)
- Transit pass that includes unlimited light rail and bus trips
- Holistic employee assistance program
- Recreational sports facility membership reimbursement
- Use theory, modeling, and prototypes to optimize Banyu Carbon’s photoreactors and solar facilities (traditional and concentrating). To achieve this goal you will:
- Contribute to the conceptualization, design, and scale-up of solar installations that can drive Banyu Carbon’s photochemical process while simultaneously generating photovoltaic electricity.
- Evaluate photoreactor and solar facility designs with respect to energy efficiency, manufacturability, longevity, and financial metrics (OPEX and CAPEX).
- Design and optimize fluid flow through photoreactors together with the pumping and control of these and related fluids.
- Identify risks and introduce innovative strategies that can overcome these risks to effectively enhance process performance.
- Contribute to pilot deployment and subsequent iterative improvement as well as the design and commissioning of a first-of-kind commercial facility.
- Conduct design reviews, analyze data, and prepare technical reports to communicate project progress and results to internal and external stakeholders.
- Use industry standard techniques and software to design sunlight collecting, PV electricity generating, and fluid pumping systems.
- Clearly document the design, evaluation, and development process in written laboratory books and electronic documents following best engineering practices.
- Conduct work with a commitment to the highest levels of safety and integrity. This includes understanding and adhering to EH&S standards, policies, and procedures, to promote safe work habits.
- Contribute to regular updates of Banyu Carbon’s technoeconomic assessment.
- Provide technical insight and effectively communicate and collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers to advance our carbon capture technology.
- Review technical bids, contribute to purchasing decisions, carry out technical checks of performance data for major equipment and contribute to subsequent assembly and troubleshooting.
- Collaborate with Banyu Carbon business staff to support technical business development, develop supply chain relationships, and to refine process components to best fit market needs.
- Ensure that projects are completed on time.
- Mentor and manage technical staff for performance and professional growth.
- Find, apply, and communicate relevant advances from technical and scientific literature.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Experience & Qualifications:
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of experience in mechanical engineering or a related field, with a focus on large scale design, development, and risk mitigation through testing, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ideal candidates will have extensive industry experience designing & building solar PV and concentrated solar installations.
- Ideal candidates will have experience designing industrial fluid pumping and control systems.
- Experience with multiple stages of the design process including detailed design and prototype manufacturing.
- Good understanding of manufacturing processes and their impact on design and cost.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiar with statistical data analysis and design of experiment methodologies
- Strong sense of project ownership with hands-on and can-do attitude
- Creative self-starter that is interested in solving problems without a pre-defined answer
- Excellent understanding of lab and field safety and ethical research processes
- Strong communication skills – able to disseminate information at internal and external technical forums
- Good interpersonal skills, including working with cross-functional teams
- Experience in solar energy, renewable energy, or related fields is preferred.
- Current authorization to work in the US and ability to relocate to the Seattle, WA USA area is required.
- 10 -20% travel may be required
- Will sit, stand, or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push, or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time, which includes typing, viewing data, and manipulating documents and data.
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to: nitrile gloves, lab coat, safety glasses, hearing protection, hard hat, safety footware)
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and must not be excluded from participation in federal programs.
Banyu Carbon is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.