Job applications require an active Gmail or Google account. If you do not already have a Gmail or Google account you can apply for a free Google account here.
Banyu Carbon is a fast-paced research and technology development startup located on the campus of a major research university. Banyu Carbon aims to radically reduce the cost of carbon capture, hasten the transition to a net zero carbon economy, and slow the effects of global warming. To meet this challenge, Banyu Carbon is developing a process to extract CO2 from seawater using light-activated chemicals that is projected to use a fraction of the energy of competing approaches. Gain experience in a startup that is bringing science to market. Put your passion for the planet and science to work at Banyu Carbon and join us!
Summary: We seek a highly motivated and detail-oriented research scientist with experience in chemistry, chemical engineering, wastewater treatment, environmental engineering, or a similar field. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with a small team of scientists and engineers to design and conduct experiments to test and improve aspects of our carbon capture technology from concept to deployment.
Salary: A target starting salary of $65,000 – $80,000 year is expected, commensurate with skills and experience level.
Position Type: This is an in-person regular full-time position located in Seattle, WA.
Desired Start Date: As soon as possible. Candidates will be evaluated as applications are received.
Location: This is an in-person position located in Seattle, WA. Banyu Carbon is located within CoMotion Labs on the beautiful campus of the University of Washington. This setting unites the fast paced and exciting environment of a startup with the thriving intellectual community and advanced instrumentation of a major research university. A light rail station, recreational sports facilities, the Burke-Gilman bike trail, and the Lake Washington Waterfront are all within a half mile of the company’s office and lab space. A transit pass with unlimited rides and membership at the university’s recreational sports facility are included in current company benefits. Seattle is a thriving and dynamic city situated between the snowcapped Cascade Mountains and the waters of Puget Sound.
Benefits: Banyu Carbon is proud to offer employees a competitive total compensation package as well as a comprehensive benefits program designed to support the whole lives of our employees and their families. Current benefits for full-time employees include:
- 401(k) with 6% employer match
- Stock options
- Medical, vision, and dental coverage
- 15 days of paid time off per year in addition to paid sick time
- 13 additional paid holidays annually, including 11 federal and state holidays and 2 floating holidays to recognize cultural, religious, or personally significant events.
- Relocation assistance (negotiable)
- Transit pass that includes unlimited light rail and bus trips
- Recreational sports facility membership reimbursement
- Conduct scientific experiments in the lab or at field sites to test the feasibility and performance of chemical processes.
- Utilize expertise, creativity, and problem solving to manage and identify the technical approach for projects of moderate size and scope.
- Clearly and fastidiously document results and methods of research in a written laboratory book and electronic documents.
- Summarize key results, provide scientific insight, and effectively communicate and collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers to advance our carbon capture technology.
- Apply established data analysis techniques to new data and contribute to the development of new data analysis methods.
- Assist with the development of research facilities through contributions to design, purchasing decisions, assembly, testing, and trouble shooting.
- Maintain research equipment and research spaces, including tasks such as purchasing; instrument maintenance and calibration; organizing data, equipment, and supplies; maintaining inventories; cleaning; and alerting senior staff about issues or needs.
- Conduct research with a commitment to the highest levels of safety and integrity. This includes understanding and adhering to Environmental Health & Safety standards, policies, and procedures, to promote safe work habits.
- Assist with technical proposal preparation and/or presentations.
Key Qualifications and Competencies:
- A BS, MS or PhD in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental engineering, or related field.
- 2+ years of experience conducting or assisting research in chemistry, chemical engineering, environmental engineering, or related field, either in an academic lab or in industry.
- A broad knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures in the employee’s field of specialization. A demonstrated ability to draw on this foundational knowledge to solve technical and applied scientific problems.
- Familiar with the design of experiment methodologies and statistical data analysis.
- Demonstrated sense of project ownership with hands-on and can-do attitude.
- Problem solving capabilities and ability to deal with complexity and ambiguity.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to monitor and meet deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good interpersonal skills, including working with cross-functional teams
- Current authorization to work in the US and ability to work in-person in the Seattle, WA USA area.
The most competitive candidates will have experience with one or more of the following:
- Analytical Chemistry
- A working understanding of mass transport processes, especially ion transport.
- Chemical modeling using Matlab or other scientific computing toolsets.
- Design and operation of basic process monitoring and/or process control systems.
- Experience with the principles and calculations of Aquatic Chemistry.
- UV-Vis spectrophotometry.
- Organic synthesis, including polymer synthesis.
- Nanoparticle synthesis and characterization.
- 10-15% travel may be required
- Will sit, stand, or walk short distances for up to the entire duration of a shift
- Will climb stairs on an occasional basis
- Will lift, push, or pull up to 27 pounds on an occasional basis
- Required to use hands to grasp, lift, handle, carry or feel objects on a frequent basis
- Ability to work inside a fume hood for extended periods of time, which includes reaching into and conducting complex mechanical operations with dexterity.
- Must be able to comply with all safety standards and procedures
- Ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time, which includes typing, viewing data, and manipulating documents and data.
- May reach above shoulder heights and below the waist on a frequent basis
- May stoop, kneel, or bend, on an occasional basis
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment is required (including but not limited to: nitrile gloves, lab coat, safety glasses, hearing protection)
Potential candidates will meet the education and experience requirements provided on the above job description and excel in completing the listed responsibilities for this role. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check and must not be excluded from participation in federal programs.
Banyu Carbon is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
To prevent the spread of COVID-19, and as an integral part of its public health and safety measures, Banyu Carbon requires that all newly-hired employees be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before commencing employment, subject to reasonable accommodation and other requirements of applicable federal, state, and local law.